Thursday, April 23, 2009

Stories from the Tropics #1

Prior to starting my blog I used to send my missives via email to those interested in hearing what I had to say. This is the first of the 7 I sent prior to starting the blog.

January 10 ,2009

Today is Saturday Jan 10 about 11 am or about 8 pm friday evening for those in Wpg. I had to come into work today to do some work for a gov't presentation we have for Monday. Good thing as it is my only internet connection as I still try and work out how to get a connection at home.

I have finished my first work week now and have only felt 'normal' since Friday as the jet lag kept me under the weather for my first few days - and probably the heat (daytime - 35 or so). Given the length of the journey the thought of coming home right now (save the ability to do the star trek 'beem me up scotty') is not appealing - and even if I come home for a couple of weeks two or three days are messed up right off with the jet lag then I have to come back after that - not that palatable. However April I will come home as my income tax return will be waiting for me. For my other trips I might think of doing local travel in Asia so all my days off are good days off. Now I just have to find me a nice international girl to do it with. . . . . Alternatively I could come home but instead of bang, bang bang take a few days off each time I switch planes (possibilities are Bali, Singapore, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Sydney to name a few).

Life in Dili is settling down to what my 'new' normal is. I'm at work by 8 and with an 1.5hr lunch (standard for all here) and leave around 5:30 for the day. As it is dark here by 6:30 not alot of time to explore after work except on the weekend. In the eve me/we go out to dinner at one of the many local restaurants that are here for the mylae's (say ma-lye) or white guys/expats.

A big day a work here on Friday - at 10 am they had the EDTL (the utility's name) Xmas party. Yes I know it was Jan 9 but Xmas is a big deal for the timorese - 12 days of or something like that. It is an outside affair with an indoor section where the big shots sit - including me and my team (or the two of us that are here currently). We sit in AC comfort in the front row with other dignataries - Sec. of State, Prime Ministers aid and other gov't officials. First off was a formal mass (along with choir) by a priest and alter girls (boys are out I guess) - I was reminded of the few catholic weddings I have been to where you sit/stand/sit/stand thru out the ceremony. Then we all go outside to await the arrival of the prime minister - several people say a few words (its all in the local dialect) then the PM (I'm 4 seats away from him in the front row) does his thing - all large meetings involve a meal here - so after the PM finishes speaking the front row goes to the front where the meal has been laid out - pork/beef and rice an other items and we get first dibs on the meal - we eat first then everyone else ques in for the meal (maybe 150 - 200 people total) - the PM shakes all the front row's hands and is whisked off in his convoy - then the party starts - music very loud and beverages including beer for all. This goes on till quitting time at 5:30 - I and my boss escape the festivities after a bit of smoozing and back to the office with the music banging in the background and kids running around playing in and outside to of the bldging. Wierd looking at some people working with beer cans on there desk. It is not that drinking is endemic here it is just that timorese are poor so when and if they buy beer they don't buy cases as we do they buy 1 or 2 cans as that is all they can afford. Same with the meal - only a select few locals can afford to eat out.

Later that night Mac and I (my boss) meet at the Dili beach club and debrief on the week over several BinTangs (indonesian beer in the big 620ml size) and a pizza (I pay for two pizzas and 4 bintangs - $27US). These are the places the expats (primarily Aussies) drink and be merry on the water front. Most all restaurants are open air - this one is right on the ocean (sea actually) that looks out into the habour where several decrepit ships are anchored before unloading there goods prior to the next run. Open air is good as the night time temp is always around 25 C or higher - sometimes with a gentle breeze but comfortable. I ask Mac about the drinking and driving and he says - don't get to drunk to get home and keep $20 in your pocket in case you get stopped. He explains this and our work experience as being in the frontier - it is a new country (about 16 months) and they are learning as they go along. Work is like that to - Mac apptly comments that the canadian utilities we are used to developed over a 100 years these guys are on not yet finished year two so expectation should not be set high.

Driving is an experience to say the least - first off its right hand drive (I frequently get in the wrong side of my vehicle) and the roads are terrible - potholes, few traffic lights and animals. Then factor in the micro buses (microlet) that tranport locals (they pack as many people in these things and on them as we get on our transit buses), and the lawless taxis that just stop whenever sometimes not even bothering to pulling over, then scooters that may be on either side of you and infront and behind of you and you get the idea. Scooters are the equivilent of our family vehichles - 3 or 4 to a scooter (front to back - kid/adult/kid/adult) with or with out goods to transport. A nightmare to ay the least. I have already clipped a scooter in my vehicle as they are in your blind spot - thankfully only a jerked mirror on my end and a dirty look from the two guys on the scooter.

My apartment is in a complex off just off the main road (Camoro road) neat the airport that was built for CHC (helicopter co.) employees. We just happened to rent 2 of the vacant flats. It is nice, albeit small but it is clean, the linens/bed is descent and it has hot water in the shower and descent pressure. The sinks (kitchenette and bath) do not have hot and cold. In the center is a nice pool/exercise area with a nice covered area where breakfast is served. Primarily Aussie's here, I am the only Canadian.

Next week two other members of the team arrive back and then the hydro guy in Feb and we will be back to a full compliment.

It only gets better from here I guess. . . .

No comments: