Thursday, April 23, 2009

Stories from the Tropics #2

Prior to starting my blog I used to send my missives via email to those interested in hearing what I had to say. This is the second of the 7 I sent prior to starting the blog.

January 16, 2009 (for me - 15 for you)

Saw an Aussie commercial today - "Gotta love Summer" - whoa - forgot it was summer. Although in reality summer means raining season - yet ironically enough other than the odd sprinkle I haven't seen it. This is good for the so called 'Dili Sand & Gravel Co.' which is the almost dry river bed that drains to the ocean that we cross everyday going to work - and where the labourers everyday make gravel - a manual process where they, shovel by shovel, throw riverbed through a wire grate to filter out the fine stuff - the trucks that have access to the river bed wait, and snarl an already desperate traffic situation worse. I have been told that during heavy rains this river bed is much more than a trickle it is now.

We had a visitor for breakfast the other day - a 4 inch praying mantis - presumptuiously waiting on one of the vacant breakfast tables, probably for meat scraps and/or human flesh. Never seen one of these beasts, quite majestic actually. An Aussie pilot took pity on it after it jumped on its pants and put him safely back in a bush to resume his hunt for fresh meat (using magazine to do so as to not lose any digits). Other than that wild life abounds here, notwithstanding the goats/cows and goats that live within a stone's throw of my door. Like the cockroaches that work with us in the office. We are getting close to naming them as they make the rounds. At home apparently there is large rat in our compound as well - I am yet to make his aquaintence. One pleasure I hope to avoid.

Today was driver's license day as well - not that I knew that I needed one despite driving up to this point and other than the minor clip of a scooter the other day without incident. A mean look from him a beating heart for me and no harm done. Although everyday I still insist on getting in the wrong side of the car and still flip on the wipers when I intend to turn on the signal. What will happen when I come home I wonder? I'm told I will go thru the same adjustment yet again. Remember my right turn are like a left at home and vise versa - tough time getting that straight. At 48 I am again learning left and right!

Oh the license - beauracracy at its best.

Step one - go to the photo shop for passport type photos - 3 each for Dan and I - $8 for all charged to MHI.
Step two - to what is the motor vehicle branch - stand in line to get a form, fill out said form;
Step three - wait for said form to be returned and walk to next wicket (this is all outside in the blazing hot sun) and wait again to get it stamped.
Step four - get the stamped form, Joao (ryhmes with Mau the chinese dictator), our portageese consultant in our office, who also needs a license, is called in the office first for futher consultation is deemed a brazilian despite his protestation otherwise - we figure it's his good looks and greased hair that tips the scales. I suggest applying now for a Brazilian passport. Zenaldo, my personal assistant who does double duty as our trusty translator, advises us to go to another wicket and pay for six copies for .50 cents - the cue is push, shove and jam in there or you will never get thru.
Step five - oops - too late lunch time - must come back two hours later;
Step six - submit said copies for stamps at one of the other wickets to be given a temp drivers licence with two of the pictures stapled to it. Advised yet again that we must make copy of this before proceeding;
Step seven - go to the photocopy wicket again, .10 cents in hand for copy - only to be interrupted by a power failure, good thing Zenaldo had his EDTL access card tucked in his pocket or it could have been the end of us. We've had enough - back to the office after wasting, not including lunch, about 2 hours. This adventure will continue tomorrow. The great part - apparently we have to have a picture taken again - what were the other two for??? We will ponder that over more Bintangs later this evening.

Work, well that's a story itself - corruption is rife here and the staff, while for the most part try there best, have no skills (ie - can't enter data into a spreadsheet). Top that with the fact that half of our production (diesel) is not paid for. Enough said. As we affectionately tell each other during the day - "We're not in Kansas anymore Toto". Its one step forward, two steps back. As insulation is not the consideration it is at home, load for the very poor is minimal as they only have 1 - 3 light bulbs (CFC's though!) and that's it.

That all said its all good. They pay me handsomely, I am not experiencing the cold snap in Wpg that was actually worthy of merit on CNN Asia and Bintang is cheap - $4 bucks at the bar or $30 for a case of 12 620 ml bottles, but I honestly miss Big Jim and walking to work in extreme cold just not all the other hassles associated with winter.

Yes Dorothy the toilets do flush the other way, and I don't feel like I'm standing upside down. As I said it is technically summer now as well. Winter means only one thing, less humidity. If I am to believe the temp gauge in my vehicle it is about 35 in the day, 30 in the eve - and shade has become my best friend.

I have company to hang with now - the Aussies that primarily live in my complex (CHC the helicopter company - they ferry workers to the oil rigs off shore) have set up a bar at the back - with an old shipping container they have mounted a 42 inch TV (with Aussie satellite feed), a bar topped with a helicopter blade, with fridge and homemade beer tap, with a few chair and a table where we convene after work to watch Aussie TV and have a few pops. $20 buys you 11 beers with a laminated card that you punch a hole in every time you pull a pop from the fridge or draw from the tap. Gotta love it mate.

Pictures will be forthcoming, there is something on shaw mail to separately post pictures, once I have figured that out and post some pictures I will let you know.

The other side of the world, so many miles away
A nice place to visit, but is it a place one would ever stay?


Take Care.
Chic

No comments: